Re: InDesign -opinions and long document template?

Subject: Re: InDesign -opinions and long document template?
From: "Jens Reineking" <J -dot- Reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:31:29 +0100 (CET)

Imposition is not something that comes natural to InDesign. However, the PageMaker PlugIn Pack
($49 or so) has a basic imposition tool. For more advanced/complex impostion, you'd have to buy
3rd party plugins.

As far as tips&tricks: Buy some good literature (Real Wordl InDesign) and subscribe to the
InDesing list at blueworld - an awesome group of very, very knowledgeable people. Some Adobe
folks (or at least one) hang out there, but more importantly, some of the top notch authors and
trainers regarding InDesign.

Jens

<zitiere wer="William Roy">

> This is a little late because I'm behind on my list readings. Be sure to
> setup the styles in InDesign to have the exact same name before placing a
> document (if your text is outside of the program already).
>
> For example, heading 1 and heading 2 are automatically copied correctly for
> an entirely placed document. If you have other style names in use in your
> Word document, they will copy in perfectly ONLY if you have setup the style
> names first. This would be in the paragraph styles. Makes life a lot easier
> when importing a big document!
>
> And one other thing - somehow there is a way to do imposition in InDesign. I
> understand PageMaker does it by a utility - "Make Booklet". I've been told
> that InDesign does the same thing somehow in the "Print..." options. Anyone
> on the list know how to do this?
>
> ~William Roy
>

> We just got InDesign in the office (were using Microsoft Word) and are
> just starting to go thru and play around with the software. My
> preliminary concern is the lack of (or my inability to find) a template
> for a long document. Building from scratch would be ideal, but as usual
> we're in a time crunch with looming deadlines. Anyone have an example
> they are willing to share (off list is fine)? Adobe's Studio site did
> not seem to have much as far as templates for procedural type templates.
>

> Also, anyone that is working/has worked with InDesign to develop
> software or procedural materials have any rants, raves, tips or trick to
> share?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com