RE: Use of the second and third person in documentation

Subject: RE: Use of the second and third person in documentation
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:03:25 -0600

John writes:

> If I writing instruction that is followed by the reader, I say "you".

I agree with John - an active voice is more engaging for the reader and, frankly, 95% of the stuff we write is so boring that anything that livens it up is usually appreciated.

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 (o)
Technical Writer | 866.741.2677 (f)
Printable Technologies, inc. | www.printable.com

"The hard part about being a bartender is figuring
out who is drunk and who is just stupid."
- Richard Braunstein

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com