RE: Revisiting Frame vs. Word in light of new capabilities

Subject: RE: Revisiting Frame vs. Word in light of new capabilities
From: "tech.writer" <tech -dot- writer -at- insightbb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:18:50 -0600

Nandini,

You are getting good suggestions from the others about Frame. I want to
address the issue with your translator who only works from Word. I would
find another translator, preferably a translation company because the
vendor should use the tools that you have established as your standard.
Cassandra Greer gave good advice about hiring a translation company.

I am an independent TW and I would never hold my clients hostage to only
the tools that I have. Look at it this way, if you hire an outside TW to
write some of your manuals, you would expect him/her to use what you
use. What would you say if the TW said that they only work in
WordPerfect? If you are smart, you would say, "No thanks, I'll find
someone who can do the job the way I want it done."

Tim Lewis
Lewis Communications

Cassandra Greer wrote:
> * A translation company will use a translation database program such
as =
> TRADOS, which will speed up the translations, reduce translation
costs, =
> and help with consistency with terms and phrases.
>
> * A translation company will have translation reviews by a second =
> translator built into their process, whereas an individual translator
=
> probably doesn't.
>
> * A translation company will be able to handle your translations in =
> whatever format you have. The companies I work with can translate =
> documents from Word, Ventura, CorelDraw, Illustrator, RoboHelp, Flash,
=
> HTML, XML, video voiceovers, and of course, Frame.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com