Re: Revisiting Frame vs. Word in light of new capabilities

Subject: Re: Revisiting Frame vs. Word in light of new capabilities
From: Nandini G <nandini111 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:41:44 -0800 (PST)

Thank you Gene Kim-Eng and Quills (Sorry didn't catch
your real name, but it is cute for a writer:)

Gene, you are right on! The docs were written in Word,
and were mainly distributed as a PDF for viewing
online as part of the software application
configuration GUI. They will be available on screen as
PDFs, so not having the FrameMaker software is not an
issue. The translator does not use TRADOS or any other
application. Apparently he used the "compare" function
in Word to highlight changes (from say, version 3 to
version 4) and just make those changes in the Japanese
version. I discovered why he might have difficulty,
because he cannot do compare with his old Word version
with FrameMaker.

I am thinking of giving him a MIF file. Another option
is to convert the FrameMaker document into Word. I can
buy Filtrix or some other utility and he can continue
to deliver in Word. He is a sweet guy. Besides, he
understands the product. The thought of letting him go
is not something I can suggest, nor is the decision in
my hands.

I have wisened after reading the replies. How generous
are you readers! If I do have to go back to Word, it
won't be that bad. I will use Word's strengths and
work with a stable template, and not change styles or
do some fancy stuff.

> From: <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
>
> > the question to ask is how much time do they want
> to add to maintain the documents?

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com