Re: Revisiting Frame vs. Word in light of new capabilities

Subject: Re: Revisiting Frame vs. Word in light of new capabilities
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:19:57 -0800

I didn't get the impression that the docs were being distributed
in Word, except to the translator and others who were required
to convert them to other languages. And I tend to agree with you
on the structured doc point; when I read the original post the idea
of just having to instruct the translator to conver the content of an
XML topic in plain text and leave the tag untouched seemed to
make the format a natural for this situation. Except, perhaps, for
the "convincing management" part. After recently converting to
Frame from Word, proposing another change to yet another new
format to upper management could be problematical.

Gene Kim-Eng

"David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote in message news:266543 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

Ah...

A seldom-acknowledged truth in using Word as a tech pubs platform is
that it makes it *so* easy for others to screw up the files...too
often originals.

Personally, I don't necessarily view having them in an application
that only the tech writers use to be such a drawback, for I have seen
the other way a few times too many.

However, I still think this case is calling for a transition into
structured docs that can be used by any number of authoring apps...and
reused more flexibly as well.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com