Control Issues?

Subject: Control Issues?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:34:40 -0500

Wanda Phillips wonders: <<I know that I, as a technical writer, have often encountered control issues... As an employee, I find myself constantly struggling over issues of control... I'm looking for insights... I'm engaged in an on-going battle with the forces of evil, oh, sorry, no I mean with the concerns and attitudes of those I work with (both within the tech pubs team and without). I know it can't just be that I've landed in an evil empire, because I haven't. I think that some of it resides with me, and so I'm looking for strategies for enabling myself to identify the battles to choose and those to, as gracefully as possible, step away from... So, how do you deal with the control issues that come up where you work?>>

When I was younger, I did a lot of aikido, which is different from many martial arts in that it emphasizes the avoidance of direct confrontation: rather than meeting force with force, you use the opponent's strengths against them. (Similar to judo, but more effective in my limited experience.) More interesting still, when you do kata (practice specific exercises), you work with your partner so that each of you "does and is done unto" so that you understand the partner's experience of the kata too.

Without getting all new-agey on you, I'll note that the same approach usually works quite well in human relations. As soon as you turn something into a struggle for control (your words... and what do they tell you about how you're thinking?), you're meeting force with force. For that matter, you're assuming it's all about control, and that biases your thinking. It's not. You work with these people, and as a result, need to rewire yourself to think about ways to cooperate and achieve consensus. The ideal solution meets as many of each person's needs as possible without rejecting anyone else's needs outright.

This isn't just theory. I've worked for nearly 20 years as an editor in environments where I have little or no authority to force an author to accept my edits. I've succeeded by turning an inherently confrontational process ('your writing sucks, I'm better at it, do what I say") into an opportunity to work together to help the author look good in print. Why not try the same thing at your place? It takes a bit of practice to make this attitude your first response, but once it becomes habit, you find work much less stressful.

<<How do you determine which issues to fight for and which to step away from.>>

As you may have noticed, I'm not exactly shy about stating my opinion. I've always expressed my opinion persuasively, based on such facts as I could evince to do so, and let my argument speak for itself. If I couldn't persuade someone that I was right, I tried to persuade them that my points were at least worth addressing (aim for consensus, not victory). And when I couldn't even do that, I learned to walk away from the "battle" on good terms with the other person.

I recently fired a client because I wasn't willing to do the kind of work they wanted me to do. If I can't do it right, I don't want it on my resume. This is always an option at work too.

www.geoff-hart.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com