FM/Acrobat/Friday! problem

Subject: FM/Acrobat/Friday! problem
From: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:05:14 -0000

It's been one of those weeks - simple updates and nothing but problems!
This has got me perplexed - I think I may have a solution (cut 'n' paste
to new doc) but before I go down that route perhaps somebody could throw
some light on the situation (or on my stupidity!). The problem is
disappearing text when converted to PDF.
Small table (2x2) with two captions and two icons. When the PDF is
created the first caption and the second icon vanish. Selecting the
select text/image tool in Acrobat (v6) and highlighting the area it
would appear they're there, just invisible!
In case I'd done something stupid I went back to the original (before
edits) but got the same result.
I then created a new file, based on the same template, and re-created
the table, saved as PDF and it was fine.
Copied the table into the original doc and the problem was there again.
I tried it in a different location in the file - still not everything
displayed (but different than before!)
>From that I concluded the problem is with the original file and I can
re-create that by cutting/paste text in and re-importing the images.
What I have to watch for is not to copy the problem over as well so
it'll be paste a bit, check OK, paste a bit...
If anyone has come across this problem or can suggest what to watch out
for when pasting I'd be very grateful.

Damien Braniff | Technical Writer
damienb -at- asg -dot- com

Technical Communications