STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect? (take II)

Subject: STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect? (take II)
From: "Sherry Michaels" <sherry -dot- michaels -at- docntrain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:21:58 -0700

I am an employer. I am also an employee that backs STC 100%, because I want
employees that demonstrate commitment to their profession. STC is a good
place to observe that commitment.

What I'd like to see from STC is a group of offerings that include business
analysis skills. I'd like to see programs at the conference that include
major companies outlining what they see as their biggest concerns of the
day. These programs would include their biggest vulnerabilities and
opportunities, and how they see documentation and training aiding them.

Because they can't compete without us, and we need to work on a platform
that helps convince them of that. If we only got 5 "headliner" companies to
stand up publicly and talk about the value of documentation and training in
pushing through their initiatives, we'd begin to "infect" others.

Further, by this kind of programming, we'd move technical communicators to
think more creatively about how to be an active, up front presence in
business. Right now, my most successful consultants are the ones who write,
develop training, and understand business imperative enough to move freely
and comfortably at every level of any kind of company. Our clients depend
upon them to report what they see and how to fix it. A lot of the "fixes"
involve documentation and training.

I need STC to help me create more of these skills. Grammar might help, but
more than one executive cares more about the "meat" than the sauce. We
aren't just writers, or communicators; we are business people. We need to
perform like it.

Sherry
Sherry Michaels
President