Re: Windows Font Problem

Subject: Re: Windows Font Problem
From: Sheila Carlisle <scarlisle -at- axialinfo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:21:10 -0800

The "Neue" series uses a different "Family name" vs. "Full name" naming convention; Linotype has a good description of the variations, here: http://www.linotype.com/6-1823-6/neuehelvetica.html

FM (on Windows, at least) uses the font's "FullName" rather than its "FamilyName".

If you open each font file in a text editor, in the top few lines you can see what the corresponding Full vs. Family names are. (Being extremely cautious not to accidentally save the file when you close it, of course!)

For example, here's HelveticaNeue-Medium:

/FullName (Helvetica 65 Medium) readonly def
/FamilyName (Helvetica Neue) readonly def

To confirm, try this: In FM, open a new doc. For the Body tag, change the font to "Helvetica 65 Medium", with "Regular" weight. Apply & update all. Type a few words.

In another paragraph, say "Heading1", select the font "Helvetica 65 Medium", and choose the Bold weight. Apply & update all. Type another few words.

Now make a PDF of this document.

In Acrobat, compare the fonts shown for the two samples, by selecting some characters and using Tools > Touchup Text > Text Attributes (in Acro5, the names may be different in Acro 6/7).

You should see that Acrobat correctly identifies the fonts as HelveticaNeue-Heavy and HelveticaNeue-Medium.

As far as the odd results (bold vs oblique) apparently there can often be conflicts when you have both Postscript and OpenType versions installed, or have fonts installed in multiple locations on a Mac; if you do a search on GoogleGroups you'll come across many postings outlining some of these conflicts and their resolution(s).

Lee Hunter wrote:

The font is HelveticaNeue (made by Adobe) and comes as a numbered
set. In the Fonts directory they appear as "Helvetica 27 Ultra Light
Condensed" , "Helvetica 33 Thin Extended" etc. If I double click on
the font file they display the right 'catalogue'.

But when I open an application the font list shows only two
"HelveticaNeue" fonts and neither allows me to specify the condensed
versions so dear to the hearts of the folks in marketing. In fact I
get odd results like an oblique when I select "Bold".

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com