Re: STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect? (take II)

Subject: Re: STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect? (take II)
From: Michelle Corbin <tiggernibroc -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:11:56 -0500

I have read this thread with great interest, as I am currently the
strategic planning manager for the Carolina Chapter of STC. We are
putting together a series of goals, strategies, and activities that we
can put in place that we want to do every year and reach for in the
years to come. This discussion will surely come in handy as we
consider our future.

However, I felt more compelled to share some personal anecdotes of my
own experiences and involvement with STC overall and with my local
chapter as a way of answering the current questions about what an
employer might expect from STC.

In the good economy, my company paid for my dues to join STC, and I
let them. As the belt started to tighten, I started to pay my own
dues. Now, I proudly foot the bill on my own for my dues, as my own
personal investment in my career -- for $145 per year, I get so many
more rewards, and I know it is well worth the money.

I know that there are a few who might share that view, but I recognize
I am in the minority. I came to this position because of my
experiences both with the national society (their training and their
conference) but mostly with my local chapter.

I started my involvement in the local chapter as a copy-editor for our
then printed newsletter. I then became the Newsletter Editor for the
chapter. I was able to learn and practice my editing skills, which
led me to getting my first job as a development editor. I went on to
be Vice President, President, Immediate Past President, and then
Manager of our local chapter Technical Editing SIG, which I still do
along with this Strategic Planning Manager position. I also became
very active in our local competitions as a judge, which led me to be
an international competition judge.

Each of my positions in my local chapter taught me something new
(negotiation skills, budget skills, teamwork skills, project
management skills, and the list goes on). I know that if I had not
been involved in my local chapter, I would not be where I am today in
my career. That involvement in my local chapter gave me the
experiences, the network, the confidence, and the resources in order
to advance my career to where it is today.

So, to answer the question, what should an employer expect from STC
membership and in particular local chapter membership? Well, my
answer is probably obvious at this point -- employers can expect from
STC only what that employee is willing to put into it. STC offers the
journal, the magazine, the conference, and education opportunities,
but the real, hard-hitting, long-lasting value that an employer gets
out of STC is not in footing the $145 bill each year, but in
supporting their employees in participating locally and nationally in
its activities and opportunties. It develops the employee, making
them more well-rounded, more connected, and better able to bring that
knowledge and experience back into the company.

Okay. I'm done now. I know I have echoed some of Geoff's thoughts
and others as well, but.....well, thanks for reading, or skimming and
deleting anyway. ;-)

Cheers,
Michelle Corbin

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l