RE: Tech doc DTDs

Subject: RE: Tech doc DTDs
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:00:54 +0100

Yves Barbion:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for good DTDs for technical documentation. Best
> practices to design DTDs or tech doc content models will do as well.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards
>
> Yves Barbion
> Senior Technical Writer
> Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor

Yves,

I understand that the DocBook DTD is widely used in SGML/XML-based
documentation, although I personally think it's unnecessarily
complicated. There's also a DocBook Lite, if memory serves me right.

At the other end of the spectrum you have simplistic DTD's - e.g.
Excosoft's FlexDTD, which I use successfully here at FLIR. There is a
presentation of this DTD here:

http://www.gca.org/attend/2000_conferences/Extreme_2000/Papers/Herlitz/E
xtreme2000.ppt

At Extreme Markup Languages 2000 it stirred up alot of feelings. One
reviewer wrote: "This has got to be one of the dopiest ideas I've read
recently, and I read a lot of dopey ideas." :)

I think that says something about how much conservatism there is even in
the XML world...

Excosoft's website is http://www.excosoft.se/eweb/site/home.html

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager
www.flirthermography.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com