RE: Numbered Lists in Framemaker

Subject: RE: Numbered Lists in Framemaker
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:57:01 +0100

Ed Reeves:

> This is probably obvious but here goes...
>
> I'm working on a document in Framemaker that has multiple
> numbered lists.
> The problem is, the second and third lists continue the
> numbering from the first list. I want it to reset everytime.
> I tried creating a new paragraph design and it still
> continued numbering from a previous list. I tried inserting
> <n=0> and it reset the list but put a "0" in front of every
> number, like 01, 02, 03...Is there any way to force
> subsequent lists to reset?

Ed,

You need to create two numbered paragraph formats - one that starts with
"1" (syntax example: S:<n=1>\t) and one that increments with "1" (syntax
example: S:<n+>). Then you set the latter format to be "Next paragraph
tag" on the "Basic" tab in the "Paragraph Designer" for the first
format.

When you create a numbered list, you apply the first format to the first
item, and press ENTER. This automatically makes the second item be
numbered as "2".

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager