Re: How To Choose A Good TW Was Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?

Subject: Re: How To Choose A Good TW Was Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:58:55 -0800 (PST)

Behavioral based interviewing is the way to go -
providing, of course, the interviewer can recognize
proper behavior. Unfortunately, most interviewers are
not capable of recognizing or don't want to here of
proper behavior. These are the ones that are most
likely to "punt" and give writing tests instead.

Another great thing: Interviewers should always ask:
"What makes you unique as a Technical Writer?". The
highest priority of the better job-search training
programs is having their attendees drill on whats
commonly referred to as their "30 Second Self Promo
Commercial". And in it's most powerful form, that
pitch is "My name is X, and WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUE as a
Technical Writer is Y."

Tony Markos
Do It With A DFD

--- Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com> wrote:

... The best "writing" test I ever had was one where
the interviewer gave me a scenario, then asked me to
jot down the steps I would take to find the necessary
information and complete the task, including a list of
possible deliverables. That test gave the interviewer
an idea of both how the I approached a task and how
much I understood about the process itself.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com