Re: How To Choose A Good TW Was Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?

Subject: Re: How To Choose A Good TW Was Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:02:52 -0800 (PST)

David:

Those who excel at analysis and design can easily
handle the details! The old saying "never sweat the
details" is very true.

But, especially in larger tech comm projects, strong
analysis and design people know how important it is to
postpone - postpone, not forget about - consideration
of the detail until the appropriate time.

While pursuing as-top-down-as-possible approach
ensures success on the job, it puts adherents to such
an approach at a disadvantage in timed writing tests
vs. the jump-into-the-details-right-away folks, who
are used to putting the pen to the paper ASAP.

The disadvantage: The top-down folks are faced with
much more of an attitude adjustment for the test. A
top-down person is going to find timed writing tests
irksome.

Tony Markos
Do It With A DFD

--- David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Tony,
>
> Baloney. Sorry, but there are people who can do both
> functions [high-level and detail-level work] quite
> well. Much depends upon the quality of their early
> English instruction.
>
> For example, in my honors level high school English
> classes, we wrote every day...and received two
grades for each paper. One was for the
> grammar issues, the other for the content...yes,
> including how it was structured!
>
> This kind of training produces people who are detail
> oriented for the
> mechanics and who structure their thoughts--and thus
> their
> writing--quite well.
>
> It is classes that let you skate by in which you
> develop shoddy
> habits...and, usually, it is those who don't much
> care for the details
> and who won't push themselves to excel in them who
> come to believe as
> you do.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com