Re: Purpose Driven Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Purpose Driven Technical Writing
From: Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:34:41 -0800

Heh heh. When I first read that question "What makes you unique?" My
first thought was "Umm... I do what I say I'll do when I said I'd do it
99.9% of the time... And everything on my resume is what the person who
hired me asked for, what I actually did, something that worked right and
people that were forced to live with it were more or less happy with it.
That should put me in the top 90th percentile of your candidates. Anything
else is gravy."

Besides isn't uniqueness something that is conferred upon you postmortem?
Like paintings are worth more when the artist can't paint them anymore?
Except that postmortem, my manuals and docs will be out of date... Hmmm...
Career change maybe...

Whenever I imagine hearing a writer describe him/herself
as "unique" (which, by the way, has never happened in any interview
I have ever conducted), the first thought that comes to my mind is
"prima donna." It seems to me that uniqueness is one of those
descriptions best conferred upon you by others.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com