Re: writing an SDK

Subject: Re: writing an SDK
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:37:40 -0400

> Look, I don't want to be all defensive, but this is misleading. You develop
> applications by making calls to third party libraries; e.g., WIndows,
> LightWorks,
> OpenGL, etc. Whether they are "third party" or related to the operating
> system
> is not relevant to whether something is an API or an SDK.

That wasn't my point. An API is a subset of functions that support
integration of a 3rd party component into an application. Developers
use the API in addition to whatever SDK they are using to create an
application. You cannot write a complete application with just an API.
A SDK can contain APIs and provides a more complete library of "stuff"
for developers to use in developing a working application.

> Likewise there's
> no reason why a compiler or IDE that a programmer uses has to be supplied
> by the same people as the operating system, hardware, or multiple third
> party APIs.

SDKs do not need to include the IDE. I can use the .NET Framework SDK
in VS.NET or in Borland, for example.

> An SDK is _not_ the same as a programming environment / compiler /
> IDE. Which is not to say that an SDK wouldn't have to include some
> compilation tools if it were not compiled as a set of libraries that can
> be linked to directly on the developer's intended platform (which I think is
> what Susan Gallaghers piece is trying to say).
>
> I think there are enough angels on this particular pin now.

Was someone stating SDK = IDE?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com