Re: Do you spellcheck Code Comments

Subject: Re: Do you spellcheck Code Comments
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:14:02 -0700

If I had so little to do that I was worrying about spellchecking code comments, I'd be polishing my resume at night, knowing that I'd need it soon. I'd suspect that the company didn't have enough work to keep me on staff.

Code comments are traditionally informal, and no one who uses them cares whether their spelling and grammar are perfect. More importantly, most customers will never see them. And even if your company does share source code with customers, the people who will see the comments are other developers, so chances are they won't care about mistakes, either.
For these reasons, spellchecking seems too trivial to bother with.

There's also a danger that you'll be seen as a busybody who makes unhelpful suggestions. If you're going to deal with code comments at all, it would be more useful to check them for accurate information, or else to suggest that they would be a good place to store information that developers might need later.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l