Re: Online Help Tool / Process Recommendation

Subject: Re: Online Help Tool / Process Recommendation
From: Michele Marques <writermsm-tech -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:09:25 -0400 (EDT)

Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com> asks for
tool recommendations, where the company's priorities
are
online help, followed by printed/pdf documents, and
documentation is currently in MS Word.

If those are the priorities, I suggest a tool
optimized for help that also produces print/PDF
documentation. Typically these tools are
database-driven and will let you indicate whether
topics are for help, print, or both.

If you have shared content between documentation for
different systems (e.g., if you have standard and
deluxe versions of a product), some systems will let
you maintain a single database in which you indicate
which system this applies to.

I hae been using FrameMaker with WWP, but I believe
that is best when the priority is print/PDF followed
by help.

Some tools you may wish to investigate are AuthorIT
and Robohelp (I believe the current version uses a
database). There may be others.

- Michele Marques
writermsm-tech -at- yahoo -dot- ca

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l