Re: What Can We Do?

Subject: Re: What Can We Do?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:11:41 -0600

That humongous technology company we all know as "Big Blue" did the same
thing to me several years back. The company CEO had the audacity to stand with President Bush who declared there was no recession because of Big Blue's 15% bump in annual profits. That bump was largely due to the termination of 6,000 contractors across the country....me being one of them. Life as a contractor sucks at times, especially when you know that contracts, in some cases, aren't worth the paper their printed on. You just accept that and hope the next company you work for has ethics.

Al

quills -at- airmail -dot- net wrote:

At 6:57 PM -0400 4/22/05, tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com wrote:

I am highly upset. I left a good company and signed on with a contracting company five months ago to work as an on-site contractor for a certain amount of time and a certain amount of money. This company (a large international company) decided they were paying us too much and told my company they will only pay a certain rate (a lot less). My company would not go for that so another writer and I have been given two weeks. They are going to interview and hire less experienced people for a lot less money.

What gives a company the right to change the rules in the middle of the game? I understood that when you signed a contract with a company it is supposed to be honored. If they can just change the contract without any repercussions, it's not worth the effort to sign the thing. What legal steps can I take?

MBNA did the same to their contractors, twice in as many years, and while they were making 19% net profit.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry
about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com