RE: Just can't help myself

Subject: RE: Just can't help myself
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:46:04 -0700

Bill, your reply brings up lots of issues, most of which I'm going to
ignore for the sake of brevity.

I will say that there have been times when I would have jumped at the
chance to take that job, simply because it says "tech writer."
(Hopefully I won't be in that position again.) There are lots of admin
jobs that include TW-like components without acknowledging the skills
required, and many admin/exec assistant positions pay comparable to TW
posts. (Admins/execs do have a lot of skills to offer).

My take on people's negative response to these types of ads is that
"tech writers" feel their skills are highly developed and that they
deserve professional status. Considering the qualifications I've seen
tossed around in list postings, and the quality of writing exhibited by
members, I'd say "we" should get as much respect, professionally
speaking, as MBAs. Given the contributions we make to companies, our
status isn't the product of poor quality work or lack of contribution to
the bottom line, I suspect the problems are primarily visibility and
marketing. Those of us who are "translators" might also have few
opportunities to impress people with our higher level qualities. In that
regard, I'd recommend Sherry Michaels article (see the latest issue of
Intercom) as a way for people to think about our roles and be more
proactive about our positions.

Kathleen