Liability insurance

Subject: Liability insurance
From: "Sherry Michaels" <sherry -dot- michaels -at- docntrain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:29:53 -0700

<<I've been a contractor/freelancer for a couple of years now, but for the
first time I am being asked to provide a certificate showing that I am
covered by liability insurance. This is apparently the much ballyhooed
"errors and omissions" coverage I've read about.>>

You've been given good advice: go to an agent and get an attorney to work
with you on your contract.

My experience lately is that large companies are attempting to indemnify
themselves in all kinds of areas. Currently I have writers working on
*policies and procedures* with a billion $ corporation, and the company
insisted (would not strike it) on being indemnified from our work if an
error caused a life threatening problem. This is in addition to requiring
E&O and Liability insurance.

It becomes an issue of "picking your spot." If you don't want the work or
the request is too onerous, move to the next gig or get with an agency that
handles that stuff. If you do, then you must comply, because it appears the
corporate attorneys are becoming very insistent.

In our case, we decided we wanted the work. :)

Sherry
Sherry Michaels
President
Michaels & Associates