Re: Online Installation Guide

Subject: Re: Online Installation Guide
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 05:06:33 -0800

The usual applies here. It all depends on the product.

For our products, IO cards, we include a minimal
installation guide as hard copy with the hardware.
Just enough information to get the product up and
running, configured, and verified. We expect our
customers to throw it away afterwards, so it is
minimalist in nature. The full doc set is available
on the web, which includes the install info.

We also expect customers to purchase extra cards
and leave them on the shelf until a need arises.

For a product such as this that is easily moved
around, keep it hard copy.

At a previous job, we considered on-line docs, as
we were a manufacturing site, and provided the
instructions in-house to dedicated locations.
Even in this case, we opted to not use online
only docs, as operators wanted to carry the docs
to the job, mark on them, and be able to look at
them while laying on the ground looking up at the
hardware. We spec'ed the ability for the operator
to print the docs as needed. Sme did, some didn't,
it depended on the experience of the operator.

At yet another gig, there were times when the
product could go into a secure site, where there
was no internet connection, and every data disk
that was carried in, stayed there for security
reasons, including hard drives. Again, hard copy
only.

Think through who uses the doc, where, and when.
Will they -always- have access to a computer, with
a high level of confidence it won't go down?

Can it be burned onto a disk and used from a laptop?

CB - it all depends
--
http://www.surfy.net for Free Email <br> http://www.ergova.com for Low Prices on Hotels, Books, and more.