Re: watch your language! (or don't)

Subject: Re: watch your language! (or don't)
From: "Jerry Muelver" <jerry -at- hytext -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 06:57:16 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "diotima"

> ahem, i probably should not have had that glass of wine before writing this, but my question is, do you ever run into these expectations that you are supposed to speak, even in casual conversation, with the same "correctness" as in your documentation?

I don't run into such expectations -- I carry them with me. My style of speech is the first, most visible, most persistent and observable quality of my personality.

for those of you who have never done it before, try intentionally sticking a grammatical error in your response. seriously. enjoy it. love it. embrace it. do it once in a while where it simply won't matter and i'm sure it will be a good thing for you. be alive. be free. use a word that your 13 year old daughter uses. say something grammatically wrong and enjoy it. i bet your sex life will improve because of it. maybe.

I speak with children at their level of understanding, using my knowledge of grammar and diction to make the experience interesting for both sides. I speak with non-native English users at their level of vocabulary, and use my knowledge of English to avoid to complex constructions, negative assertions, puns, and ambiguities. I see no benefit in promulgating substandard use of language.

sigh. i need to watch a movie.

Perhaps so. I'll bet you won't seek out a badly filmed movie with poor actors performing under incompetent direction, will you?

---- Jerry Muelver

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com