Re: Workflow Suggestions Needed

Subject: Re: Workflow Suggestions Needed
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:17:45 -0400

Ashaki K. Hamlett wrote:

- Since the SMEs are creating the source file (PPT slide), I have to depend
on them to remember to tell me when a change has been made so I can update
the other materials. If they happen to remember, I need to know what changes
were made. Is there a way to track changes in PPT besides the add a comment
feature?

No.

-Is there a tool or easier process from us going from PPT > Word (training
manual) > RoboHelp (online tutorial)?

Ashaki,

Your process is broken. PowerPoint was not made to be used that way. If your SMEs are reasonable people (I have no reason to suppose that they are or are not), you should be able to explain to them that the workflow they want to continue using is guaranteed to lead to costly errors down the line. They should author their materials in Word, use versioning or track changes to monitor updates (or something more sophisticated if they're up for it), and export the Word files to their PowerPoint template at the same time they send them to you.

HTH,

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com