Re: A technique to get on development's good side

Subject: Re: A technique to get on development's good side
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:49:52 -0400

Years ago I befriended one of the more belligerent snooty developers I
worked with at the time... He wouldn't give anyone who wasn't "at his
level" the time of day, and he had some very nasty predispositions
toward tech writers, trainers, and testers. One day I was over at his
cube digging for info, and he was showing me how to get to a
particular obscure dialog (I didn't have the data to get there and
it'd take a couple of days to set up my environment to duplicate the
need for the feature). I asked if he could take a few screen shots and
he commented that they really wouldn't do much good because the dialog
was so small, but OK... so he hits Print Screen and opens Word. I
asked him if he knew about Alt+PrintScrn, and he did not. I told him
to give it a try and to paste it into MS Paint instead. He didn't know
about MS Paint either. So I showed him how to take specific captures
of single active dialogs and how to save them directly as image files
in MS Paint rather than always pasting into Word. He was extremely
happy with this knowledge, and I never had problems getting info out
of him again. In fact, he'd come over to tell me to check out his
latest work. :-)

And yeah, I don't turn down an opporrtunity to help someone else out,
regardless of what group they work for. Eventually you get a return,
and it's usually greater than the effort you put in.

On 5/12/05, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

> On our dept intranet site, I list "services offered," including
> PDF generation (the rest of the company outside of Tech
> Pubs, Marketing and HR is saddled with freeware PDF
> print applets), edting and correction of internal dept docs
> and graphics, etc. Just about anything that you can get
> people thinking. "the folks at Tech Pubs could help us
> with this" is a good thing.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com