Re: A technique to get on development's good side

Subject: Re: A technique to get on development's good side
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:28:31 -0400

> You know, this list offers so much good advice on how to overcome the
> divide between tech writers and developers. I too have my techniques.
> But did you ever ask yourselves why that divide exists in the first
> place? Why do tech writers, of all other people on the team, have to
> overcome this artificial barrier placed in their path?

>From my experience, tech writers have to overcome it because tech
writers create it. YOU may not create it, but at some point, someone
may have been in over their head as a tech writer with those
developers and created a stigma.

Also, many times the wall is perceived by the tech writer but isn't
actually there. Rather, the expectation and preconceptions that one
writer has may create this wall, while development is wondering why
the writer is being so reclusive.

Developers, tech writers, dog groomers, police, and what have you...
they're all just people. Many times we forget this.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com