Re: A technique to get on development's good side

Subject: Re: A technique to get on development's good side
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:42:46 -0700

At 06:56 AM 5/13/2005, John Posada wrote:

If you are a programmer, you can be asked specific technical
questions that demonstate your skill. When you say you know VB.net,
C#, C++, java. etc., you can be quizzed. OTOH, what is there to prove
you can write? Somehow the answer "I know English" doesn't cut it.
THAT'S why I point toward certification. It is a specific series of skills.

Short of certification, which I support in principle, but doubt in practice,
there's always the possibility to ask questions about basic TW tasks
and domain-specific about the technology to be documented.

Sure, none of those questions are foolproof. I've interviewed a few
writers over the years who did really well in interviews, but fell flat
on their faces as soon as they were hired and given writing assignments.

Still, even with programmers, you can't be sure that the ones who
know the answers to interview questions will be able to design
and code effectively if you hire them.

martha
--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"Too many words bring about exhaustion."
--Tao Te Ching, Chapter 5 (translated by Sheets/Tovey)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com