Re: TOOLS: Seeking "speshul" ergonomic chair

Subject: Re: TOOLS: Seeking "speshul" ergonomic chair
From: "Janet M. Swisher" <swisher -at- enthought -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:37:57 -0500

Dick Margulis wrote:

> > Of course, if your company wants to shell out the bucks for an Aeron, more power to
> you ;>)

My company buys them used. Our office manager knows a used office furniture dealer who's always on the lookout for them, and lets her know when he gets some in. There are a lot of them out there from failed dot-coms.

> Am I the only person in the world who cannot sit in one of those
> contraptions? Every time I've tried to sit in one, I've felt like I was
> going to fall backwards and crack my skull open; I wrenched my back more
> than once in that instant panic reaction. Finally I learned to just pull
> up a side chair and push the damn Aeron out of the way if I had to get
> to some executive's keyboard for a minute.

If you're referring to it tilting back -- that's adjustable, too. There's a lever on the left side with an icon of a person tilting (or falling ;-) backwards. When you pull up on the lever, it limits the maximum tilt to the current position. To release it (when you give the user back their chair), lean forward and press the lever down.

I like the Aeron operating instructions at Sit4Less (techwriting tie-in):
http://www.sit4less.com/aeron_adjustments.html

These instructions are taken from Herman Miller's brochure, but you have to download a PDF to get them from the Herman Miller site.

In the features-and-benefits table (which I don't think came from Herman Miller), the benefit of 360-degree swivel is listed as "Gives you an edge in office hockey tournaments", and for 2 1/2" hard, double-wheel caster, it's "Rolls nicely on carpet or bare floors, also critical for office hockey play".

--
Janet Swisher --- Senior Technical Writer
Enthought, Inc. http://www.enthought.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com