Re: Outsourcing of Technical Writers Employment

Subject: Re: Outsourcing of Technical Writers Employment
From: Jan V Smith <jan -dot- smith -at- opaltree -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:48:35 +1000

From: "Lou Quillio" >

Wanna hear something crazy? I say about twenty of us Western techcomms relocate to a nice, civilized spot somewhere in Australasia with reliable broadband and satellite backup, work hard, join the local community, and remotely take a big 'ol chunk of the global English-language techcomm business while living surprisingly well.

I live in Australia and have worked cyberly on projects in the US and Europe. It can be great fun to work across timezones using web based documentation, emails, IRC, ICQ and Skype. On one project one person was in New York another in Rotterdam and I was in Melbourne. Every eight hours the project got a major update we were building a web site for a Christmas audience so speed was essential.

The world is getting smaller.

Jan Smith
Coordinator OzZope
http://www.ozzope.org