Re: [HOWTO] Web Domain Registration service recommendation?

Subject: Re: [HOWTO] Web Domain Registration service recommendation?
From: Ed Wurster <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 20:45:32 -0400

Michele wrote:

> Huh? We host websites, numerous ones, and have never purchased a domain
> name for someone without being the holder of everything, registrar
> included. None of our clients have ever asked to be listed. And most
> need hand-holding. But billable hand-holding. I can say that I had one
> client buy two sites, along with a lot of other work from me. Then never
> paid. If I hadn't retained all rights he could have gone and used the
> websites that *I* paid for, and he didn't. Now I have an unenforceable
> judgment b/c he doesn't own anything. I'm one in a long line of unpaid
> creditors that came after me.

In the past, I've done work for small and large companies. I've been
left holding invoices for less than $2K in the last twenty years. When
this happened, it was because I did not enforce my own business
practice, which is to get paid for the work. Unless you get a signed
contract, and progress payments, you'll get burned again.

When a potential client will not accept the idea of pay for work
performed, it is an indicator of problems to come.

I'm glad you made the point that some developers will hold the domain
as leverage.

--
Ed Wurster
Tech Tips Blog