Re: How Much Knowledge Transfer is Necessary?

Subject: Re: How Much Knowledge Transfer is Necessary?
From: "Poster" <Poster -at- aurora -dot- cotse -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 00:19:09 -0400 (EDT)

Morris, Cassandra said:

[snip]

> My concerns are these:
>
> How much information should I deliver to her (aside from knowledge
> transfer
> strictly for where files are and so on)?
>
> Should I teach her RoboHELP, and if so, wouldn't that hurt chances for
> another Technical Writer to come in?
>
> Am I ethically obligated to teach her as much as necessary to perform
> the
> tasks I have been performing for the last year?

I say teach her the basics of it all and that includes Robohelp. She
won't be able to do your job and hers effectively anyways, and if
she's smart, she won't try, but instead just keep things in
maintenance mode until a new TW arrives. Otherwise the failure to do
them both would result in her getting canned and her bosses looking
for superwoman.

In other words, giving her enough rope to hange herself is the
friendly (information sharing) and professional thing to do. :)

~Poster
+ www.intaligo.com/mt +
+ Professional Editing/Web Design +
+ www.intaligo.com/mt +