How Much Knowledge Transfer is Necessary?

Subject: How Much Knowledge Transfer is Necessary?
From: "Morris, Cassandra" <Cassandra -dot- Morris -at- HillPHOENIX -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:12:13 -0400

Hi All,

This will be my first time posting to the group, so I am a little nervous.
(It seems like a big TWORLD out there).

A little background information...

I am leaving my current contract position. The first phase of the contract
is complete, with all of the documentation delivered as online help. While
I was in a holding pattern for the company to decide to extend this
contract, I received and accepted another offer. My current contract was
finally extended for 3-6 months. However, in the new offer I will have an
opportunity to strengthen some much-needed Frame Maker skills. My current
employer does not have any plans to contract with another Technical Writer
and for the time being wants to keep online help in maintenance mode. My
boss has asked that I "show her" how to update the online help files. I
have several years of hard-earned experience, which makes it not so easy for
me to fully comply with her request. She understands that I won't be able
to teach her everything, so she just wants the basics.

My concerns are these:

How much information should I deliver to her (aside from knowledge transfer
strictly for where files are and so on)?

Should I teach her RoboHELP, and if so, wouldn't that hurt chances for
another Technical Writer to come in?

Am I ethically obligated to teach her as much as necessary to perform the
tasks I have been performing for the last year?

Am I being unprofessional, or would this be considered "looking out for my
own?"

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com