Euphemisms and alternate keywords for "Recover"

Subject: Euphemisms and alternate keywords for "Recover"
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 14:04:43 -0400

Wow, is this bad timing, or what? All the Euro posters (all four of
them...) have signed off and left work hours ago, and apparently we're
coming to a US holiday weekend, so most of the USers have left the building
to beat the traffic.

Well, if anybody is left, picture this:

An appliance is administered by an entity that must login.
When that account is first accessed (with default password), the new
administrator is required to change the password to something sorta secure.
ALSO, a "recovery" account is created, whose only purpose (and only
capability) is to let the administrator back into the administrator account
if the administrator ever evinces such bad form as to forget her/his
password. Therefore, at first use of the administrator account, the
administrator is also forced to declare a password for the Recovery account.
Then, s/he thinks of it no more.

Here is today's documentation problem. The Recovery account will not really
be mentioned again, nor thought of, until that unthinkable day when the
administrator gets locked out. So, in their desperation, as they brush the
dust off the WebHelp and start searching for the procedure...... how are
they going to search?

SOME people will think of words like "recover" or "recovery". Good for
them.
But, for all the rest -- especially those whose memories crumble under
pressure -- what other keywords and search terms could I use, to help them
find this function??

The thesaurus gave a bunch of synonyms, most of which were inappropriate and
related to health. A couple of other "r" words are worth considering
"retrieve" and "revive"...

Any others? Any from another part of the alphabet?

Ooo! Oo! After all this time, I just thought of "unlock". Phew.

Any more? Anybody? .. ody? ...ody? ...ody?

Wow, it really echoes in here when the place is empty.

:-)

Kevin (at a partial loss for words, in Ottawa, Canada)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com