Re: Help vision

Subject: Re: Help vision
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:22:14 -0700

> Salmon Arm

Who knew? :)

But seriously, folks...

> I see authoring tools that "write documentation themselves" without human
> interaction. I see Technical Writers being simply "conductors," of
> documentation... troubleshooters.
>
> Automated Documentation - This is the wave of the future.

Hang on. Tools may gather information, organize it, format it, and put it out to appropriate formats, but someone has to write that information in the first place. I don't see that being done by machines or the software they run.

It'll still take humans to do that, and those humans might as well be tech writers.

I agree with many of your other predictions, by the way.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com