Re: what aren't they buying...

Subject: Re: what aren't they buying...
From: HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:01:43 EDT

Techcommdood, et al.

I meant the Question "What aren't they buying?" rhetorically.

Are they paying for one slice of a pie? ... and ignoring the rest?

You would not believe how often I have heard someone say:

"Boy, you have a lot of experience, What do you do?"

"Don't you want a full-time job? I see you've worked a lot of places."

"I don't see ... in your resume? Can you do ...?"

In answer to the following:

"...but think about what areas your company is struggling in.
Can you help? Can you make something better? And if you can and do,
well, what does that say about your visibility and influence in the
company?"

You would not believe the times that I have been hired to do one job, that I
got involved in many other, sometimes unrelated, areas.

I can say that I have filled most, if not all of my contracts, in a manner
that the client/customer said, "Well done, If I could get you on another
contract, you'd have the job."

We know that "These skills are extremely transferable." But others sometime
have blinders on.

Harry

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com