RE: Technical writers

Subject: RE: Technical writers
From: "Pellar-Kosbar, Christine" <c -dot- pellar-kosbar -at- gyricon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:47:13 -0400

I disagree that marketing writing demands more creativity than technical
writing, but I'd say it demands a different mindset.

For procedures, it seems like the creativity is in the organization of
the material--You're asking yourself: how can this be clearer, easier to
use, more helpful? You have to focus on a larger body of work (usually),
so navigation is a much bigger issue.

With marketing writing, each word has to carry exactly the right
connotation, the focus is on how to craft each sentence so that the
exact message is communicated and the nuances are exactly right--You're
asking yourself: what emotion do I want to evoke? How can I evoke only
that emotion and nothing negative (and still be truthful)?

They're different, but I think neither is necessarily more difficult. It
depends on the writer.

Christine Pellar-Kosbar

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com