RE: Technical writers

Subject: RE: Technical writers
From: "Chad LaCroix" <chad -at- architext-usa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:07:13 -0400

I would say that neither task takes more or less skill, only a different set
of skills. I write a great deal of marketing collateral for my company (and
I like to think that I am at least fairly skilled at doing so) but I don't
think that I could write a manual or a user's guide to save my life.

As many have said already, marketing is about evoking emotions (while taking
care to evoke only the emotions that you are looking for) and writing for
instruction is more about organization and task-oriented thinking.

Best,

Chad

<snip>

Some time ago our company looked for a technical writer.
As a very very small department the person would also have to be able
to write Marketing material.
My boss who was neither a writer nor a native speaker of English, told
candidates, that anyone who can write can learn to do technical
writing, for Marketing writing you need more skills.
Do you agree with that?

(I don't think I do)

--
Carrie Baker