Re: Technical writers

Subject: Re: Technical writers
From: Jeffrey Osier-Mixon <jefro -at- jefro -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:27:00 -0700

I write both technical and mar-com stuff. They are completely different activities---the goals are different, and the audience is different. For me at least, the goal of technical writing is organization and integrity to support customers, i.e. to provide complete and correct information about a product in a way that the customer finds easy to use. The goal of marketing writing is to generate leads that will become customers. Magazine articles are yet another different animal.

As to which is more difficult, for me it really depends on the day, how much coffee I have had, etc. I find myself continually claiming that I stink at marketing writing, but the company likes what I do. I am more comfortable with technical writing (after 13 years) but it is healthy to stretch a little.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com