Creating teaching material

Subject: Creating teaching material
From: "A.H." <isaac840 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:01:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, all,

We are going to create a website that has different
modules of METRIX, a contact-management database and
application, and were thinking of approaches to
documentation.

We thought of our potential audience (based on
existing users) and wanted to develop (as an in-house
project) a classroom-based approach to documentation
to get an idea of how users with very basic skills (a
few programs, Word perhaps) can learn to use METRIX.

Some of you might be thinking why don't we just
interview potential users or run focus groups, etc.
Well, The documentation team consists of two interns
(myself included) and a few developers. I go to school
part time, so I don't have much time to get out there
and mix it up with real people. The developers are
busy slaving away at their cubicles and have a lot of
other things on their plates.

So my question are:

1- Has anyone done something like this?
2- Is this approach common?
3- What are the potential problems with this
appraoch?

Anthony Hernandez
Technical Writing Intern
Fund for the City of New York