RE: Graduated... or graduated from?

Subject: RE: Graduated... or graduated from?
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:17:28 -0500

Agree with Lou I do. In addition, I'd say that the form that uses from
as in 'She graduated from xxy High School' is used less often than the
form of 'She graduated xxy High School'. But this last thing sounds a
bit off even though it's not really off. So, as Lou says, you can get
around that by avoiding the verbal forms.
And then there is the somewhat different case where you're not talking
about a specific place; you're talking about the simple fact of the
person being a graduate. Examples:
She graduated from high school. She graduated high school.
Both seem ok to me, but the first seems slightly more formal.

Jim Jones http://www.tinyurl.com/4arjc

Lou Quillio wrote

Phillip St. James wrote:
> Is this simply a matter of taste and style?

Definitely, and it's tricky in that _some_ ears hear _some_ forms as
snooty, where others think "graduate(d)" is code for "just barely
passed."

You can defuse that a little by avoiding verbal forms.

"... a graduate of Schmidlap College ..."
"... a Schmidlap College graduate ..."

Not an ideal economy of words, but "graduate(d)", the verb, is a
little loaded.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com