Re: Graduated... or graduated from?

Subject: Re: Graduated... or graduated from?
From: "Brian Gordon" <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:20:20 -0700

Here are some ways I have used that particular verb (as a Canuck who lived
in the US for eight years, part of that time as a tech writer; I also wrote
resumes professionally for a time):

Joe graduated from ...
Joe is a graduate of ...
Joe graduated summa cum laude from ...
Joe graduated Harvard at the top of his class. (This last is uncommon in the
US and Canada, in my experience.)

All the best,
Brian

What is the proper spoken usage of the verb graduate in US English? Why is
there such a disparity here ? Does anyone know for sure?

TIA,

-phillip
Menlo Park, CA

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com