Re: Tech writers with typewriters?

Subject: Re: Tech writers with typewriters?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:22:29 -0400

> Now reads:
>
> For freelancers, there are few costs. You need a computer and a phone.
> A fax machine or fax bureau is also useful. And that's really all you
> need. Some technical writers rarely even see clients - the work comes
> in the post! Virtually every penny you earn is profit.
> ( http://www.inst.org/tech/tec_bro.htm )
>
> Do you think that the owners of this site are lurking on the Techwr-L
> list and made the change because of this thread?? Funny, isn't it!

They must be. But, "Virtually every penny you ear is profit." is waaaaaay off!

I'm not going into detail about contracting costs, or about the
viability of offsite work in many situations, as they have been
covered over and over again on this list for years. But, if I saw
every consulting penny as profit, I wouldn't be working as a today
FTE.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736