RoboHelp HTML X5 & Word 2003

Subject: RoboHelp HTML X5 & Word 2003
From: "Nelson, Julie " <JOHNST -at- acehardware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:05:16 -0500

My team is working on creating some quick reference sheets (basically instructional "How to's" for standard procedures - referred to as job aids).  The end result is to have them in online & printed format.  Originally, we were going to create the reference material in Word, then convert them to PDF format.  Management decided against this, so now we're importing the Word files in RoboHelp HTML X5 & including them with our help project.  We've run into a few formatting/image issues that I was hoping someone could help me out with.

The job aids look fine in Word, but we lose some formatting that we set up in our Word template (mostly font, spacing & numbered list issues) when importing the files to RoboHelp.  In addition, our images/screen captures aren't very clear (especially when printed).

Here's what we're doing for our screen captures:

1. Display the software screen we want to use.
2. Press Alt & Print Screen.
3. Open PhotoShop 7
4. Paste the screen capture into a new blank image.
5. Flatten the image.
6. Crop the image so it's 4" wide x 2.5" high & set the resolution to 200 pixels per inch.
7. Save the file as a jpg.
8. Insert the image into the Word document job aid.

I'm not sure if we're running into problems due to the Word template & RoboHelp style sheet we're using, or if there are some bugs that still need to be worked out with RoboHelp HTML X5.  I thought I'd check with everyone here just in case they're experienced similar issues.  I wish we could convert our Word files to PDF format, but our goal is to keep everything in HTML format.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me on this matter.  Thanks.

Julie

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com