Print-quality Icons (WAS: symbolize roles)

Subject: Print-quality Icons (WAS: symbolize roles)
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:13:33 -0400

On the subject of icon-laden websites, I've found using Google Images
(Google > Images [be sure Strict Safe Search is on to avoid
unwanted/embarrassing hits in case the boss walks in while you're
searching]) to be adequate if you're seeking "freeware" art for icons
and symbols to be "on-screen" icons for your reader.

But what about print-quality icons? I once worked for a commercial
printer and I mandate their standards still--any graphic I intend to
reproduce in print (either on a laser printer or via commercial press)
must be at least 600-dpi resolution (to provide smooth scalability) and
be in .eps, .tif, .ai, or .psd native format.

I know it's extremely rare to find anything online that meets this
standard. Most "junque" online is of the 72 - 96 dpi range unless you go
to Adobe's site where you can pay mega-buckazoids to download photos,
designs, and other graphic elements (I've seen some for upwards of $100
per image). Most of the time you have to buy collections of such
high-quality images. My question is this: can anyone recommend a
reasonably-priced and widely varied collection of print-quality images
(photos, icons, mnemonics, reader alerts, etc. etc. etc.)?

Thanks.

> Lisa Hickling suggested:
>

> > Kevin,
> >
> > Let's not debate an approach that you are obviously happy
> > with and which
> > addresses the needs of your audience.
>
> I think it *would* meet needs, but it doesn't right
> now, because I haven't done it, because I haven't
> settled on meaningful symbolic representations.
>
> Given the amount of time I've already wasted on this,
> maybe I'll give it a rest until the next product
> cycle.
>
> > If it's icons you want, then icons
> > you shall have! Please see Leo's archive at
> > http://www.iconarchive.com/.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com