Re: Results of STC India 2005 Salary Survey - reasons

Subject: Re: Results of STC India 2005 Salary Survey - reasons
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:13:35 -0400

> At the risk of getting flamed or lynched ....

I should hope not! Thanks for a good account of what the working
environment is like in India. I think an assumption that gets made
more than not is that any data collected around the world can be
analyzed in the same way as data from anywhere else in the world. Of
course, it cannot.

I did appreciate your comments on the number of survey responses from
one region, weighed against how many actual writers might actually be
there. I would expect a 10% response rate to be the norm, and
therefore, you have to take these (and any) informal salary surveys
with a grain of salt. Despite what we may hype them up to be, they're
conversation pieces and nothing more.

What would really be interesting is if the STC would gather total
compensation from all members from their employers or from the
individual contractors who belong, as reported for taxation and
auditing purposes, to paint a complete picture of STC member
salary/compensation. But, I don't think that would happen.

Thanks again for your comments. I hope the flames are kept at bay, and
if not, you did remember your asbestos underwear, right? ;-)

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com