Re: How to know whether a person clicked a link in an email

Subject: Re: How to know whether a person clicked a link in an email
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:08:23 -0400

First, I agree this is off-topic in the sense of small-W tech
writing. It's squarely in the realm of tech comm. My clients
expect me to be highly informed on not only which words should
comprise the message, but best practices and methods for delivering
it. 'Cause trust me, they aren't.

That said, spam and Web bugs are different subjects.

I'll stand by the test that we shouldn't take Step One on the
rationalizing road to practices we'd object to if used on us, and
that users would object to if they were informed.

I agree that targeted advertising is preferable to splatter, and
that it takes research. In the best case, the rationale behind Web
bugs is that data acquired at a marginal privacy cost to me is still
free to you, so why not?

When they're the targets, companies fire people or file suit over
less. Think about it.

LQ

dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:
> Lou Quillio describes a binary world, in which his way is right and
> everyone else's is wrong. Life is seldom so simple...or maybe simplistic.

Junior High Debate Club, you have two minutes to dismantle this one.
Begin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com