Re: How to know whether a person clicked a link in an email

Subject: Re: How to know whether a person clicked a link in an email
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:43:40 -0700

Lou Quillio describes a binary world, in which his way is right and
everyone else's is wrong. Life is seldom so simple...or maybe simplistic.

Junior High Debate Club, you have two minutes to dismantle this one.
Begin.

I guess I missed that class, 'cause I don't see any problem with that.

You wrote repeatedly that tracking open-sensing and click-tracking is unehtical, no matter what.

That seems simplistic to me, especially since I was able to present a situation in which open-sensing and click-tracking are not only ethical but actually serve a purpose that is mutually desirable to the sender and the recipient. A recipient in an ongoing opt-in association with a sender won't take the time to respond to requests for feedback; and it's not necessary, when it's so easy and convenient simply to detect what messages are opened and what links are clicked.

I described your position as simplistic because, while it sounds good on the surface, it fails to take into account the full array of real-life uses of a tool. If you can explain what's wrong with my description of your position, please do.

David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com