Re: How to know whether a person clicked a link in an email

Subject: Re: How to know whether a person clicked a link in an email
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:53:56 -0700

Lou, Lou, Lou...

> I suppose there can be such thing as "an ongoing opt-in association
> with a sender".

Of course there can: it's one where someone opts in and doesn't opt out, for Pete's sake. You order something from Acme Corp and write your e-mail address on the registration card or check a box that says it's OK to send information about similar products to the one you ordered.

> Dunno how I'd know I were in one...

By remembering you'd agreed to receive e-mail from that company. Duh.

> ...stay conscious of the terms and all their implications...

You could go read on their web site where they've posted their privacy policy. Most companies seem to have them, nowadays, even offline--statements on privacy policy and opt-out procedures arrive in my snail-mail box almost every day from banks, doctors' offices, insurance companies, utility companies...all kinds of businesses.

> By God, I'm glad they're tracking me...
> If you think there's a middle ground...you're full of it.

Statements like those are rather ironic after of your insult about junior high debate class, don't you think?

Oops! I wasn't going to post any more on this topic. (I can't believe we haven't been busted yet.)

--David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com