RE: How to know whether a person clicked a link in an email

Subject: RE: How to know whether a person clicked a link in an email
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:39:42 -0700

Well, it hasn't been declared OT yet, so I'll chime in with my .02.
Personally, I don't even like acknowledging email from my sister. But I
think there's a larger issue at stake. In light of the massive
double-speak in which corporations wrap their dealings with consumers
(e.g., just read the privacy/policy statement your bank sends you
periodically), it's very hard to opt out. Your points are correct,
David, one can check, but I ask you, how much time are you willing to
devote to this issue. Do you have a lot of spare time on your hands? Do
you understand all of the information you're given in all the fine
print? Or are you just comfortable with the status quo? Personally, I
don't want to spend my time tracking that junk. Not only that, I'm not
sophisticated but I'm a lot more savvy than a lot of people who use the
net--are you saying that we all have to become experts just to protect
our personal interests?

Beyond that, I think there are grave ethical issues about using such
tracking agents. Just because I register one of the many electronic
doohickeys I've bought in the last x years doesn't mean I give someone
permission to track my activities, and how am I going to remember
everything I've bought (wait till you have kids). Cleaning out a file
cabinet, I just found a warranty for a calculator I bought in '78. So,
this is another thing I need to track in my life? Give me a break.

And to everyone else, just because you can find a very narrow line of
reasoning in which you see no obvious ethical flaws for doing something
does not mean it is ethical to do it, in that case or in any of the
others in which it would quickly be applied.

I fear my debate skills are falling prey to emotional upheaval, so I'll
quit while I'm ahead.

Kathleen M.