Re: Using docbook

Subject: Re: Using docbook
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:02:45 -0700

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 12:45 -0400, Kate Stout wrote:

> I'm considering using creating the document components in docbook, then
> using xslt transforms to create the various required output formats.
> Bunch of questions
> 1) Has anyone here used the docbook DTD before, & if yes, what was the
> experience like? I'm a little concerned because it's a fairly complex
> markup scheme.

You might want to look into simplified docbook. It's a subset of the
complete docbook, and has been used for a lot of free documentation. As
you are probably learning, the complete docbook is so large that, for
any given purpose, there are usually large chunks of it that are
irrelevant.

If you do decide that simplified docbook will suit your purposes, you
can work in OpenOffice.org Writer. Writer's own format consists of
compressed .xml files, so it converts to simplified docbook without any
problems.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Inspiration and craft plus time and effort minus fear and doubt
multiplied by purpose equals song."
- Ray Wylie Hubbard.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com